Monday, December 15, 2008

The church youth sponsors

Last week, I shared that I had gone to our church's other campus to share the ministry of Compassion with the youth there. My presentation went well, I think. I didn't get the impression that the kids were into it. But their leadership certainly was, in a big way. I guess after a year of struggling to get people to hear what I am saying, to see people go from being completely un-familiar with Compassion to being just absolutely on fire for the ministry is still taking me aback.

I had taken 5 packets with me for the youth to prayer-fully consider and pick 1 or 2 for them to sponsor. When I was done with my presentation, the adult leader of the youth was very excited and he said he was going to en-courage the youth to sponsor 2 children. But before we could discuss which ones they might sponsor, another mom came up to me and said she wanted to sponsor one of the children. You really have to understand that I have had a very, very difficult time getting people to sponsor children. I've tried my bible studies, twice! And I never had someone choose a packet I had on hand. So, I was pleasantly surprised. On Dec. 14th, I went and saw those same youth leaders again and learned that one other child packet was taken by another family. When I asked about the other packet, the leader said "Don't worry! I'll get that child sponsored too!"

I feel a heavy weight of responsibility when I get child packets. I feel that I am the one who should be carrying them to find them sponsors. I need to let that go and remind myself that these children are all in God's care and God will find them the sponsors they are meant to have. I'm just the "middle man". God has gone on ahead as I have gotten out of his way.

I do want to have their pictures here on my blog though. I'll have to see if when this all shakes out, I can get their pictures to share with you here.

3 comments:

The Reader said...

I am so excited to hear about the works God is doing through you and through your church now. How exciting! Praying for you, for the youth, and for the children.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just found your blog through Steppin' Heavenward! I had no idea someone does what you do :)! Cool! I will pray for you.
We have eight biological children, are very middle-aged and have always wanted to adopt from Ethiopia but thought the door was closed so last year started sponsoring a little girl from Ethiopia. Now, we are in process to adopt a sibling group from Ethiopia !!!! and really hope to visit our Compassion child. Do you think that will be hard to do? Our agency (Bethany adoption) says they think it is possible. We're excited!

Blessings to you! Keep being faithful and the Lord will open doors!

Jill in the Northwestern US

Andrea said...

Hi Jill,
I hope you find your way back to this reply.

I'm so excited for your family! I love Renee's blog. She has such a great family.

If you want to go and visit your Compassion child, you should make arrangements with Compassion. Call them and tell them that you have this opportunity to visit and they'll need to make arrangements for it on their end. They need at least 6 weeks notice to make it happen.

Praying for your family!
~~Andrea