Monday, December 8, 2008

Sara's Mother

I was blessed with more mail today. I was in a sour mood all day long until I got the mail. It sure puts my day into perspective to walk out to the mailbox and see "A Letter from your Sponsored Child".


We sponsor a young woman in Tanzania named Sara. Sara is 17 years old and lives away at a boarding school. She wrote that she did not see her family very much. So, when it was time to send her a birthday gift, I thought I would send a financial gift and I asked that it be used for travel expenses for Sara to go and see her family - but, if it was not practical to do that, use it as they saw fit. Her birthday was in September and I know that I had sent the gift in sufficient time for it to be received then. So, I was anticipating a response about what happened with this gift.

That is what was in the mail today. The letter stated that Sara had not been able to come home but that gifts had been bought for her and she would receive them when she got home. I'm not sure, but it seems like this gift that I sent was divided evenly between Sara and her mother. The best part - I got a picture!

This is Sara's mother. Her gift was the "Kitenge" that she is wearing and the other one over her shoulder. Kitenge is an African Sarong (thanks Google!) plus the cooking oil and the large cooking pot. I know Sara has two brothers still living at home, so this is a gift that Sara's mother will use to bless the whole family.

The letter is a full page of "thank you's", "bless you" and "gratitude". I wish they had squeezed in Sara's mother's name in there - but I imagine it was being dictated to the writer by Sara's mother and those were the only words that came to her mind.

This makes me wonder also if Sara has very many pictures of her mother? I wonder if she would get a copy of this? I could make a copy and send along in my next letter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome, that you got a letter when you needed it most, and that you got a picture to boot! (I got my letter from Gabriel after a particularly stressful day, too, so I can relate to how it just changed your whole attitude.)

It's too bad Sara couldn't go home to visit her mother--I'm sure they would both have loved it--but it's wonderful that your gift was able to bless the whole family.

I think you should definitely send the picture to Sara--even if she somehow got a copy through Compassion, I'm sure it would mean so much to her to know you thought to send it.