Thursday, November 20, 2008

Switch Rant ON - the United Nations

When I was a little girl, our church didn't have a trunk or treat or a fall party in place of Halloween. What I do remember is going door-to-door with a little cardboard change box and saying "Trick or Treat for UNICEF". The idea of collecting money for needy children did stay with me. I wonder how much of an impact doing that kind of thing has had on me as far as what I do now. My disgust at what the UN has become now makes me not want to give them much credit. I would prefer to give the credit to the church I grew up in and my parents for exposing me to those needs, even as minimal as it was.

Fast Forward to now...

The UN announced the completion of a $23 Million Art Ceiling at U.N. Human Rights Council in Geneva, Switzerland that was paid for by Foreign Aid Money.




I can't even begin to describe how I feel about this.

I believe that we do have to approach the issue of poverty from both a personal each-one-reach-one concept and through political channels. To affect change NOW, those governments of impoverished countries need to change and they are not going to change without political incentives. To promote lasting change in the people and those governments, we have to change the children and that is where my heart is.

President-Elect Obama, before the financial crisis had hit, had pledged $400 BILLION dollars toward UN Poverty Relief under his new administration. Of course, the money has been diverted, so to speak, toward the financial crisis. Bono certainly found this ironic.

It's extraordinary to me that the United States can find $700 billion to save Wall Street and the entire G8 can't find $25 billion dollars to saved 25,000 children who die every day from preventable diseases.

It is just unreal to me that an organization that is designed to protect humanity could, in good conscience, flush so much money towards a CEILING. I'm just dumbfounded!

Can you hear the money being flushed down the Golden Toilet of the UN?

When I was thinking of that, I remembered a movie... "All of Me" with Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin? In that movie, there's a "Swami" who mistakes the sound of a flushing toilet with a ringing telephone...

I believe the UN likes to hear the sound of it's own flush.

Rant OFF.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is amazing, and sad. Government is never the answer to poverty -- it always gets eaten up in red tape or bureaucracy. That's why sponsoring children one-on-one through Compassion International is such a practical solution. We all just need to do our part.

Jill Foley said...

I just found your blog and love it... I too, am a sponsor and advocate for Compassion. Come visit sometime.