Monday, November 17, 2008

More in the mail!

Oh, my heart!

I got a letter from Azalech. You just have to read it. And for more background, go here.

How are you doing my dear sponsor? My sisters and I are very fine. I received your letter and your family gift that was 475.33 Ethiopian Birr ($50) you sent for us last time. I will write you about its detail in another letter. May God give you waht you want. I love you very much because you think and help me like my mother. Please keep on praying for me. I wish you happy new year and happy Christmas. I also wish these holidays could be of blessing, of joy and of praises to you. What things did you see when going to your husband's homeland? Please pray that I could be clever in my education and that my sisters and I could live in Joy.

You wrote me that you saw many things when you visited your husband's relatives. I am 9 years old. I like cleanign our house. I learn the word of God in Sunday School in church. I was not promoted from grade one. So, I decided to work hard in this Ethiopian New Year. I also received your birthday gift that was 239 Ethiopian Birr ($25). I write you about the detail in another letter. Goodbye.


Oh, how my heart just stopped when I read that first paragraph. How desperately I ache to hold her and really tell her how so precious she is to me and to Jesus. Some day, I will meet her and tell her this. But it just can't come soon enough.

I had received a letter from her some time ago asking for prayers for her end of the year examinations. Her letter also included a copy of her report card. She is also struggling academically. But you can see improvement from one semester to the next. I will focus on that in my reply to her.

It has been very revealing to me through Mesay's obvious delays and now I see that Azalech is struggling how critical the early development of these children is. Compassion's answer to that has been their Child Survival program. This teaches parents the value of good nutrition in pregnancy, breastfeeding for brain development and to promote bonding. And the importance of play and safe exploration in their infant and toddler years. Most children die before the age of 5 in impoverished countries and so many that do survive, do not have that foundation of learning that is so critical to their further development.

What a blessing it was to receive this letter today! My heart soars!

But it also reminds me that I have a purpose. And for all of those other orphans out there like Azalech, her story is not unique. I can not give up. Every 14 seconds, another child is orphaned by AIDS. They need help desperately. There are 167,000 children available for sponsorship. And God has one in mind FOR YOU!

2 comments:

Tara B. said...

I so look forward to each and every letter we get from our Compassion children!

They give me hope for better lives for them, it humbles me greatly. No matter how dire their circumstances, what I hear in their letters is HOPE, they inspire me greatly.

I wish everyone could experience the joys of sponsorship!

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed looking at your blog today! I'm a Compassion Advocate and Area Coordinator and do most of my blogging about Compassion as well. Good job!